apply for help
This “Apply Online” button will redirect you to the Illinois Legal Aid website, where Prairie State hosts its online intake system.
APPLY BY PHONE
To reach our Fair Housing Project, call (855) FHP-PSLS / (855) 347-7757.
To reach our Domestic Violence Line, call (844) 388-7757. Helpline Hours: 9AM – 1PM (M, T,Th) and 6PM – 8PM (W)
To reach our Legal Help for Homeowners Project, call (888) 966-7757. Helpline Hours: 9AM – 1PM (M-Th)
To reach our Legal Assistance for Older Adults Project, call (888) 965-7757. Helpline Hours: 9AM – 1PM (M-Th)
To reach our Low Income Tax Clinic, call (855) TAX-PSLS / (855) 829-7757.
Eviction Help Illinois provides free legal services and resources to people dealing with eviction. To reach Eviction Help Illinois, call (855) 631-0811; text eviction to 1 (844) 938-4280; or visit evictionhelpillinois.org. Eviction Helpline Hours: 9AM – 3PM (M-F)
Telephone Counseling Service: 9AM – 1PM (M-Th). First-time callers can reach this service by calling the local office phone number. Eligible callers either will receive immediate advice or a referral.
Our offices are generally open 8:30 AM – 5:00 PM (M-F).
For all other programs, call your local office.
All applicants will be screened for eligibility.
The person who needs legal help must apply unless he or she cannot do so because of age or disability.
Have any court papers or other important documents available when you call.
Interpreters are available at no cost when needed.
Due to limited resources, we cannot help everyone. For additional help, visit our Additional Resources page.
We will not deny help on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, religion, political affiliation or belief, disability or any other classification protected by law.
To be eligible for help from Prairie State Legal Services depends on the following factors:
- You meet our income and asset guidelines. Generally, a client is eligible if his or her household income is less than 125% of the federal poverty level, or up to 200% of the federal poverty level if the household has certain expenses. Certain grants allow us to serve some clients with higher income and/or asset criteria.
- We have no conflict of interest regarding your legal issue.
- You live in our service area, or have a civil legal problem in one of the counties in our service area. To see our service area, click here.
- You meet the citizenship or immigration requirements established by Congress. Persons fleeing domestic violence or trafficking are eligible regardless of immigration status in matters to address the abuse.
- Government regulations do not prohibit Prairie State Legal Services from handling your type of legal problem.
- You have one or more legal problems that fall within our established priorities.