Prairie State Legal Services (PSLS) provides free civil legal services to residents of 36 counties in Northern and Central Illinois, excluding Cook County. For a full list of PSLS offices and the counties we cover, visit www.pslegal.org/offices. Call PSLS at (847) 662-6925 for free advice from a lawyer and a referral to the office serving your county.
If you or your legal issue are located elsewhere in Illinois, other providers of free civil legal aid are available.
Chicago and Cook County
- Legal Aid Chicago—(312) 341-1070 (legalaidchicago.org)
- Cabrini Green Legal Aid (criminal/juvenile records, family law)—(312) 738-2452 (cgla.net)
- Chicago Volunteer Legal Services—(312) 332-1624 (cvls.org)
Central and Southern Illinois
- Land of Lincoln Legal Aid—(877) 342-7891 (https://lincolnlegal.org)
- CARPLS Legal Aid Hotline for legal information, advice and referrals for Cook County residents, (312) 738-9200 (https://www.carpls.org/)
- Illinois Armed Forces Legal Aid Network, for free legal assistance for veterans, active service members, reservists and their dependents, (855) 452-3526 (https://ilaflan.org/)
- Illinois Legal Aid Online, for online legal research, forms, guidance and statewide legal aid directory (https://www.illinoislegalaid.org/)
- Illinois Free Legal Answers, a virtual legal clinic where low-income Illinois residents can submit a question online to ask a lawyer for help with a civil legal issue (https://il.freelegalanswers.org/)
- COVID H.E.L.P, a free legal assistance tool for people who are facing housing and employment and other economic problems because of COVID-19. (https://covidhelpillinois.org/)
- Rentervention.com is a free, online robot that can assist Chicago renters 24/7 by providing legal information about renters’ rights and connecting tenants that need help with free lawyers. (https://rentervention.com/)Twice
Outside of Illinois
If you or your legal issue are not located in Illinois, visit www.lsc.gov/aboutlsc/what-legal-aid/get-legal-help to find a provider of free legal aid in your area.