Prairie State Legal Services, Inc. is seeking an Annual Giving Specialist to join our Development Team.
For over 40 years, we have been providing civil legal services to the poor, elderly, and people with disabilities. Prairie State Legal Services is a 501(c)(3) with an annual budget of over $18M, largely funded by federal and state grants. We currently generate approximately 7% of our funding through charitable giving, and seek to significantly increase this percentage through active efforts to increase private support.
The Annual Giving Specialist reports to the Director of Development and is primarily responsible for overseeing the annual giving from individuals and corporations. This includes coordinating and supporting the efforts of the local fundraising committees for each of our 11 Prairie State offices, and coordinating the annual solicitation appeals of the entire organization. The Annual Giving Specialist will need to recruit and support strong and active local groups, provide clear plans and tools for groups to utilize, and develop fundraising skills and knowledge of local members and staff. Travel throughout Prairie State’s 36-county service area and evening/weekend work may be necessary.
The Annual Giving Specialist’s duties will include:
- Recruiting, developing, and supporting office fundraising committees
- Establishing and communicating office fundraising goals
- Coordinating fundraising efforts with local office staff
- Providing fundraising training for local committees and staff
- Coordinating special fundraising appeals and tailored proposals (for local efforts)
- Assisting in creating the case for support, special giving opportunities and related tools (for local efforts)
- Drafting and coordinating annual mail and email solicitations
- Overseeing acquisition efforts for new donors
- Building relationships with local donors, including new donors
- Coordinating special event with local committees
- Coordinating and promoting staff and board giving efforts on the local level
- Community/local business/corporate fundraising: research, relationship-building, tailored solicitations
- Analyzing and evaluating local gift information and fundraising strategies
- Applying for local foundation grants
- Bachelor’s degree required
- 1-3 years of previous professional development experience preferred
- Understanding of and experience working within the legal community preferred
- Demonstrated experience in meeting fundraising goals
- Strong leadership, organizational and communications skills, including strong writing skills
- Strong meeting management skills
- Proven ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with board members, volunteers, donors and staff
- Proficiencies in fundraising software and information management, preferably Raiser’s Edge NXT
- Ability to travel throughout the northern and central Illinois service area
- A solid understanding of and commitment to the mission and philosophy of Prairie State
Salary and Benefits
The Annual Giving Specialist position is a full-time position at 37.5 hours per week and will be located in the office that best suits the chosen candidate. Our Annual Giving Specialist salary scale starts at $50,000 for candidates who meet the minimum qualifications, and increases with each year of relevant experience. PSLS is committed to providing an excellent, comprehensive benefits package to its full-time employees that includes:
- Health insurance, including the opportunity to qualify for a wellness credit
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- 403b retirement plan including employer contributions
- Extensive training and education program
- PTO that starts at 3 weeks/year and increases with additional years worked at PSLS
- Paid sick leave
- 6 weeks of paid parental leave after one year of employment
- 12 paid holidays
Please indicate “Annual Giving Specialist” in the subject line and e-mail a cover letter explaining your interest and experience, resume, and three references to [email protected] The Administrative Office is located in Rockford, Illinois, but this position may be based out of one of our other offices. A list of office locations and areas served is available at www.pslegal.org/offices please include your office preference.
Resumes accepted until position is filled.
Prairie State Legal Services is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive working environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We recruit, employ, pay, and promote qualified applicants and employees without regard to race, ethnicity, color, religion, gender, gender identity, expression, or presentation, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or any other legally protected status.
Prairie State Legal Services is a not for profit civil legal aid organization that serves northern and central Illinois, maintains 11 office locations, and has a staff of over 200 employees including training and litigation staff with extensive experience. Our 36 county service area includes rural communities, suburban areas, and mid-size urban cities which necessitates the development of diverse strategies and we encourage our staff to cultivate and utilize creative approaches to reach and serve our client population. Employees of PSLS benefit from the expertise and community connections of their local office staff along with robust program-wide resources. We strive to provide an array of services responsive to the needs of our clients and therefore have developed several specialized projects and maintain one of the most productive pro bono programs in the nation. PSLS has excellent fiscal controls and upholds the highest rating from Charity Navigator and Guidestar. For more information regarding PSLS services and operations, please visit our website at www.pslegal.org.