Prairie State Legal Services, Inc. is seeking an Office Assistant to join our team of in the West Suburban office. Office Assistants at PSLS provide a wide-range of administrative support to ensure the office runs smoothly. PSLS serves some of the most vulnerable members of our communities, including low-income individuals, older adults, veterans, and people with disabilities. We focus services on legal problems that impact the ability of our clients to meet their basic human needs, including physical safety, access to healthcare, adequate housing, and financial stability. Prairie State is the only legal aid organization in the majority of our area and we pride ourselves on providing high quality legal services to our clients while fostering a work environment that is motivating, collaborative, and rewarding, with plenty of opportunities for professional growth.
The Office Assistant will participate in a full range of office duties in a fast-paced environment including, but not limited to:
- Greeting clients and answering the phone, routing calls and taking messages
- Screening walk-ins, callers, and referrals for eligibility and completing applicant intakes
- Scheduling appointments and interviews
- Processing application materials
- Daily typing, copying, faxing, emailing, and filing
- Entering client information and data into case management software
- Processing incoming and outgoing mail
Salary and Benefits
The Office Assistant position is a full-time position at 37.5 hours per week. PSLS offers a salary competitive with similar organizations. Our Office Assistant salary scale starts at $15 per hour for candidates who meet the minimum qualifications, and increases with each year of relevant experience. PSLS is committed to providing an excellent, comprehensive benefits package to its full-time employees that includes:
- Health insurance, including the opportunity to qualify for a wellness credit
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- 403b retirement plan including employer contributions
- Extensive training and education program
- PTO that starts at nearly 3 weeks/year and increases with additional years worked at PSLS
- Paid sick leave
- 6 weeks of paid parental leave after one year of employment
- 12 paid holidays
The ideal candidate will be highly organized, dependable, and self-motivated. Applicants should have:
- High School Diploma, GED, or equivalent education.
- Interest in and commitment to assisting low-income individuals in the resolution of their legal problems
- Strong computer skills including proficiency using Microsoft Word and Excel
- Excellent oral/written communications
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work effectively as a team member
- General office experience, legal experience preferred
- Spanish language proficiency required
Please indicate “Office Assistant – West Suburban” in the subject line and email a letter explaining your interest and experience, resume, and three references to [email protected] Resumes accepted until position is filled.
Prairie State Legal Services is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive working environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We recruit, employ, pay, and promote qualified applicants and employees without regard to race, ethnicity, color, religion, gender, gender identity, expression, or presentation, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or any other legally protected status.
Prairie State Legal Services is a not for profit civil legal aid organization that has served northern and central Illinois for more than 40 years, maintains 11 office locations, and has a staff of over 175 employees including training and litigation staff with extensive experience. Our 36 county service area includes rural communities, suburban areas, and mid-size urban cities which necessitates the development of diverse strategies and we encourage our staff to cultivate and utilize creative approaches to reach and serve our client population. Employees of PSLS benefit from the expertise and community connections of their local office staff along with robust program-wide resources. We strive to provide an array of services responsive to the needs of our clients and therefore have developed several specialized projects and maintain one of the most productive pro bono programs in the nation. PSLS has excellent fiscal controls and upholds the highest rating from Charity Navigator and Guidestar. For more information regarding PSLS services and operations, please visit our website at www.pslegal.org.