Prairie State Legal Services
Job Opportunity Announcement
Deputy Director of Litigation
Prairie State Legal Services, Inc. is seeking a Deputy Director of Litigation, to assist the Director of Litigation in providing program-wide leadership, direction, and oversight of legal services. PSLS is committed to the delivery of high quality legal services to our clients while maintaining a work environment that is motivating, rewarding, and collaborative. We are dedicated to fostering a workplace culture where our employees feel valued, receive comprehensive training, and have opportunities for professional growth.
The Deputy Director of Litigation will be responsible for helping to ensure that PSLS staff are providing excellent legal services, by facilitating ongoing staff development and support. This position is primarily autonomous, but the Director of Litigation will provide supervision and training to the Deputy Director of Litigation. In addition to providing oversight and support of legal services, the Deputy Director of Litigation will serve as an integral member of the senior management team, led by the Executive Director, that oversees general organizational operations.
Among other duties, the Deputy Director of Litigation will:
• Assist staff in the preparation and conduct of their cases as necessary, from determining whether to accept a case (merit, eligibility, conflicts and other ethics issues), to developing strategy/case planning, reviewing or preparing documents including letters/motions/briefs, and acting as co-counsel.
• Conduct/co-counsel/supervise complex litigation, including appeals
• Conduct/coordinate other advocacy efforts—e.g., help coordinate and prepare comments on public rulemakings
• Maintain up-to-date expertise on program compliance requirements, serve as a resource for staff in answering compliance-related questions, and work with program auditors on compliance issues as needed
• Participate and assist in conducting training
• Monitor legislative and case law developments, particularly in housing, public benefits, civil procedure and family law, and notify staff of developments as necessary
• Manage Prairie State’s legal research library; annually review and monitor book/online research tools
• Conduct regular case reviews with Managing Attorneys
• Support and assist the managing attorneys as needed, including conducting case reviews of staff, review of closed case files
• Assist in coordinating annual planning and participate in other planning activities
• Assist in grant development activities as requested
• Develop and pursue attorney fellowship positions; help supervise fellows and ensure project goals are met
• Assist in providing support to PSLS Task Forces
• Develop networking relationships with other advocates in legal aid
Salary and Benefits
The Deputy Director of Litigation position is a full-time position. Our Deputy Director of Litigation salary scale starts at $70,000 per year for candidates who meet the minimum qualifications, and increases with each year of relevant experience. PSLS is committed to providing an excellent, comprehensive benefits package to its full-time employees that includes:
• Health insurance, including the opportunity to qualify for a wellness credit
• Dental insurance
• Vision insurance
• 403b Retirement Plan including employer contributions
• PTO that starts at 3 weeks/year and increases with additional years worked at PSLS
• Paid sick leave
• 6 weeks of paid parental leave after one year of employment
• Currently admitted to the practice of law in the State of Illinois, or admitted in another state and eligible for reciprocity in Illinois
• Member in good standing of any state bar for at least five years
• Significant, diverse trial experience required, appellate experience preferred
• Excellent oral/written communication, analytical and research skills, and computer competency
• Strong organizational and case management skills
• Outstanding interpersonal skills, including the demonstrated ability to provide effective constructive feedback
• Ability to work effectively as a team member
• Demonstrated commitment and passion for serving disadvantaged populations, knowledge of poverty law, and experience providing services to low-income individuals
• Some travel is necessary; valid driver’s license and/or reliable transportation is required
Please indicate “Deputy Director of Litigation” in the subject line and email a letter identifying your office preference and explaining your interest and experience, resume, three references, and a short writing sample (no more than 10 pages) to [email protected]
Resumes accepted until positions are filled.
Prairie State Legal Services is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive working environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We recruit, employ, pay, and promote qualified applicants and employees without regard to race, ethnicity, color, religion, gender, gender identity, expression, or presentation, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or any other legally protected status.
Prairie State Legal Services is a not for profit civil legal aid organization that has served northern and central Illinois for more than 40 years, maintains 11 office locations, and has a staff of over 175 employees including training and litigation staff with extensive experience. Our 36 county service area includes rural communities, suburban areas, and mid-size urban cities which necessitates the development of diverse strategies and we encourage our staff to cultivate and utilize creative approaches to reach and serve our client population. Employees of PSLS benefit from the expertise and community connections of their local office staff along with robust program-wide resources. We strive to provide an array of services responsive to the needs of our clients and therefore have developed several specialized projects and maintain one of the most productive pro bono programs in the nation. PSLS has excellent fiscal controls and upholds the highest rating from Charity Navigator and Guidestar. For more information regarding PSLS services and operations, please visit our website at www.pslegal.org.