Thousands of Illinois homeowners have fallen behind on their mortgages and property taxes during the COVID pandemic, and are now at risk of losing their homes. The devastating scope and impact of such losses for individual homeowners and their communities are well known. Legal assistance is critically important to homeowners facing default, foreclosure and similar problems as they try to navigate complex legal procedures and try to work with their lenders through bewildering loss mitigation options. The Legal Help for Homeowners Project offers a unique opportunity to assist in a variety of approaches, including litigation and other advocacy, to address these extremely serious issues to help families keep their homes. The project also offers significant opportunities to work with other legal aid programs, pro bono attorneys, and housing counseling agencies to maximize assistance to homeowners.
Among other duties as assigned, the Paralegal will:
- Open files for clients as requested by attorney
- Complete eligibility intakes for applicant and assign to local offices or program attorneys for interviews
- Maintain contact with clients to provide information on the status of their cases
- Prepare pleadings and correspondence for the Project Attorneys
- Prepare correspondence and documents for direct services to clients
- Monitor case files to see that they contain all required documents
- Generate and mail notices for court proceedings and schedule matters on the court docket
- Track referrals to and from other agencies
- Help prepare grant report materials
- Assist the Program Coordinator and Project Attorneys in other duties as assigned
Salary and Benefits
The Paralegal position is a full-time position at 37.5 hours per week. PSLS offers a salary competitive with similar organizations. Our Paralegal salary scale starts at $35,000 per year for candidates who meet the minimum qualifications, and increases with each year of relevant experience. PSLS is committed to providing an excellent, comprehensive benefits package to its full-time employees that includes:
- Health insurance, including the opportunity to qualify for a wellness credit
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- 403b retirement plan including employer contributions
- Extensive training and education program
- PTO that starts at 3 weeks/year and increases with additional years worked at PSLS
- Paid sick leave
- 6 weeks of paid parental leave after one year of employment
- 12 paid holidays
- 2-year associates degree, 4-year bachelor’s degree, and/or a paralegal certificate
- Previous legal experience preferred
- Excellent organizational and oral/written communication skills
- Proficient with computers and online tools
- Occasional travel is necessary; valid driver’s license and/or reliable transportation is required
- We will give preference to candidates who have experience providing services to low-income individuals
Please indicate “Paralegal-Waukegan” in the subject line and email a letter explaining your interest and experience, resume and three references to [email protected]
Resumes accepted until position is filled.
Prairie State Legal Services is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive working environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We recruit, employ, pay, and promote qualified applicants and employees without regard to race, ethnicity, color, religion, gender, gender identity, expression, or presentation, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or any other legally protected status.
Prairie State Legal Services is a not for profit civil legal aid organization that has served northern and central Illinois for more than 40 years, maintains 11 office locations, and has a staff of over 175 employees including training and litigation staff with extensive experience. Our 36 county service area includes rural communities, suburban areas, and mid-size urban cities which necessitates the development of diverse strategies and we encourage our staff to cultivate and utilize creative approaches to reach and serve our client population. Employees of PSLS benefit from the expertise and community connections of their local office staff along with robust program-wide resources. We strive to provide an array of services responsive to the needs of our clients and therefore have developed several specialized projects and maintain one of the most productive pro bono programs in the nation. PSLS has excellent fiscal controls and upholds the highest rating from Charity Navigator and Guidestar. For more information regarding PSLS services and operations, please visit our website at www.pslegal.org.